Sunday, September 26, 2010

Something New

   Every Sunday I make a traditional breakfast of bacon or sausage, fried eggs and toast. This week I decided to try something different. I was also craving something a little sweet. We had pears and apples from the co-op basket so I decided to make some sort of compote to go on top of a Dutch baby pancake.  Dutch baby pancakes [also know as a German pancake] have been popping up on Food Network and so I decided to try them out. They look deceivingly difficult and are one of easiest things I've made. 
  The batter is very basic; eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. The key to getting it puffy is having your pan be hot when you pour in the batter. Then it bakes in the oven for about 25 min and gets all brown and beautiful.

   For the compote I diced up pears and apples in to bite size pieces. I then sautéed them in butter and brown sugar with nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla until they were slightly caramelized. I'm usually not the biggest fruit eater but I loved this and will be experimenting with some more fruits this way. 


   The end result was a more elegant start to our day than the normal breakfast fair and something I'll pull out whenever we have guests for breakfast.



1 comment: